gnulib-tool-py

Re: [gnulib-tool-py] GLModule or GLModuleSystem class

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: [gnulib-tool-py] GLModule or GLModuleSystem class
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 16:05:13 +0200

Hi Dmitriy,

> 1. We have GLFileSystem, which finds or patches files and then return
> their paths (or paths of temporary files which contain the changes).

Yes, this is the main method of GLFileSystem.

> 2. We have GLModuleSystem, which share flags between all modules. I
> think we could have GLModule, but it seems we can port it's all
> methods to GLModuleSystem. Yes, the most of them seems to be more
> harmonic with GLModule, but since we have to share modcache flag, it
> is better to have GLModuleSystem.
>
> So what do you think if I remove GLModule?

It's a trade-off. Without GLModule, things are likely a bit simpler.
With GLModule, it's a bit more object-oriented.

Since at this point, there is time pressure, I would choose the simpler
solution.

> I can implement it later
> (after 20 August) just for the future developers, which don't worry
> about modcache flag, but need more usual way to get some information
> from file. That will be "standalone-file oriented object for each
> module from GLModuleSystem" and will just contain methods which don't
> need modcache flag. What do you think?

Yes, such a refactoring, to introduce GLModule for a more object-oriented
internal API, can be left to after 20 August.

Bruno