Re: [Gnumed-devel] Eye Candy

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Eye Candy
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:26:35 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, richard terry wrote:

> May email has been disabled for some time and I've found a temporary solution
> to post this message.
>
> Contrary to Ian's comment I'm still present on the list. My impression was
I really appreciate your presence.

> Perhaps we can have some clarification of this. Is the concensus that someone
> (not me) will be writing a new front end in place of my work?
IMHO there is no such consensus. I believe that your GUI is quite nice,
plus it has proven it's functionality in real life. There might still be
room for improvement, e.g. using the advanced capabilities of
wxWindows/GTK vs. VBA toolkit. We might want to have a more modular (that
is, configurable) design, too,so that anybody can pick what he likes.
Nevertheless, I opt for keeping as much of Richard's GUI as possible.

I don't really like the attidude of throwing away parts of a program
without proving that a) the current design is bad and can't be fixed and
b) the new approach is worth the trouble of writing everything from
scratch.

Given the small number of active developers I suggest that we don't try to
duplicate work (if not really necessary) and focuse on getting a first
presentable version of gnumed ready. Afterwards, given a sufficiently
modular design, we can still add as many frontends as we like. I admit
that there is always more than one way to do something the right way (TM).
IMHO we will see all these modifications take part once there is a usable
version and a larger number of users/developers.

Regards, Hilmar