gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Bernd's CheckFunc Fix

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Bernd's CheckFunc Fix
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 13:53:04 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 01/08/2017 07:14 PM, Jon Schlueter wrote:
> > I'm thinking right way of fixing this is untangling the qt support so
> > that all of the at implementations are in one or two CPP files with c
> > calling function declarations.  That I might be able to refractor in s
> > couple hours tonight. Keeping code flow the same just moving the c++
> > isms from at out of the c files, and adjusting scons to match.
> >
> > That should clear up a lot of the compile variations. As compiling c
> > code as c++ across platforms is a dusty corner we want to avoid.
>

> To make gpsd build with QT you'll have to use
> -std=gnu++98
> (or maybe something else will work, too).

That doesn't seem to be necessary on OSX, where it builds successfully
with either Qt4 or Qt5, but I'm mostly ignoring Qt issues until I see what
Jon does.

> And regarding the scons issues: I'd guess I had the issues with scons
> 2.4, but we have 2.5 in unstable since some months. Guess that explains
> why I can't reproduce them in unstable anymore. I'd guess they've fixed
> such issues as I'm sure not only gpsd was affected.

Does that include testing with a patch to use the standard CheckFunc?
Since Gary insisted that I unrevert your change in spite of the lack of
evidence that it's needed, testing with the normal sources doesn't
currently prove anything with respect to the CheckFunc issue.

CheckFunc in SCons 2.5 still emits code with the same issues, so if it
relates to the SCons version that can only mean that there's a difference
with regard to whether warnings are treated as errors.  But it seems a bit
far-fetched to suppose that some versions of SCons supply -Werror on their
own.  Is it possible that the original problem was just a "misleading
observation", similar to the recently discussed issue where a build
failure that appeared to be a cleaning problem was actually unrelated to
cleaning?

Fred Wright