gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X LVC and upcoming week rollover

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X LVC and upcoming week rollover
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2019 08:41:22 -0500

Rich Wales <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to build gpsd from the Git code, and I'm having problems.
> (This is an Ubuntu 18.04 system.)
>
> See below for the output from when I run scons.
>
> I'm particularly perplexed, right off the bat, with the error claiming
> CC doesn't work -- I do have gcc 7.4.0 installed.

I have seen C compilation failures when /tmp is not writable, or other
such things.

However, it is marked "cached".  So get rid of all files that are not in
git, and in particular scons caches.

Failing that:

  actually compile, link and run a trivial foo.c that just includes
  stdio and does a printf, by hand

  find and read the scons debug/trace output, or figure out how to turn
  it on.  It seems that scons is trying to build something to test if cc
  works and failing and that output is probably illuminating.

> And in an earlier build attempt (before I installed a bunch of missing
> things), which actually made it further than this, I got errors while
> linking gpsd, complaining about numerous missing math functions.
>
> Suggestions, anyone?  Am I perhaps missing some prerequisite packages?

maybe, but until the c compiler issue is resolved, that doesn't matter much.