gpsd-users

Re: What’s the purpose of device-hook file

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: What’s the purpose of device-hook file
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 12:18:34 -0800

Yo raaj!

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 10:48:31 +0800
raaj lokanathan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is it really necessary to use the device-hook file?

Nope.  And no one ever suggested such a thing.

> Because now I
> need to sent a few strings to the gps device for it start to give me
> the position info.

Then a device-hook script would work.

> Are there any ways to use despite using the
> device-hook which makes my system vulnerable and exposed.

I've never heard any issues with the device-hook.  How do you think it
makes anything exposed or vulneratble?

Many people prefer to use other means (script, zerk, ubxtool, custom
code, etc.) to sent init strings to their GNSS receiver before starting
gpsd.  Then they start gpsd.

This is UNIX, many ways to skin the cat.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588