gpsd-users

Re: RTK Fix woes again

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: RTK Fix woes again
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 11:01:57 -0700

Yo pisymbol!

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 13:51:22 -0400
"pisymbol ." <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 6:25 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > => Bottom line though is we absolutely NEED RTK FIX. Full stop.
> > (and yes
> > > we check accuracy using Trimble tools since it's on the Trimble
> > > network).
> >
> > Don't confuse tools with goals.  No one needs RTK.  Ever.  They may
> > need a certain level of accuracy, but how you get that is just an
> > engineering exercise.
> >

> True. But RTK here solves the problem nicely (obviously at a cost).

Yet to be proven.  Send us some gpsprof charts.

> But we need cm accuracy.

Then your base stations had better be really close to the rover.

> > Since you checked your accuracy with the Trimble tools, what did
> > that tell you?  Did you compare that to what gpsprof tells you?  We
> > are sharing our knowledge with you, you need to share back.
> >

> Trimble says we have RTK fix and have sub-10cm accuracy but gpsd says
> we are DGPS.

Rememeber how old the Trimble TSIP language is.  Before the year 2000,
when RTCM 2.0 was starting to be broadcast by the SBAS birds, that
RTK and DGPS and WAAS were exactly the same thing.  The TSIP language
is from that era.

Every receivers "accuracy" estimates are fantasy.  Some L1/L2 receivers
can get close to real sub-10cm w/o any "RTK".

> I didn't run gpsprof on it yet (I didn't get a chance).

The perfect time to do it is when your stuff is sitting in your office
and you are at home.

I have been working on the FAA status flag.  The changes are extensive,
so it will be one big patch.  The gpsd handling will be improved.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588