gpsd-users

Re: Broadcast nmea to the network

From: Bo Berglund
Subject: Re: Broadcast nmea to the network
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:24:19 +0100

On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 12:31:47 +0100, Andreas B <panden@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Not strictly a gpsd question, but with all the competence here, I just
>have to give it a shot.
>
>What's the best way of broadcasting nmea (or other data) to the network?
>Can gpsd do this, or do you use netcat/socat?

I don't know what exactly you mean here by "broadcast", but I guess that you
could rather easily use an MQTT broker on your network as follows:

- In your GPS receive software read each data packet from GPS hardware
- Then post the packet to the MQTT broker using a unique topic name
- Any client that has access to the broker will then just have to subscribe to
the topic you post to and they will receive the packets as tey are posted.
And this is done via TCP rather than UDP so it is much safer.

This will not put anything in some "broadcast" available to anyone but instead
make it available for "anyone" who can log on to the MQTT broker only.

But once set up it will behave like the client is using a GPS device locally.
The timing will not be as exact as having a wire to the GPS but for general use
it is OK. Depends only on your network speed.

And traffic is ONLY going to a single receiver from the GPS system and only to
subscribed clients, so no network spamming either.

Check usage of mosquitto, this is a Linux MQTT broker/client software package,
which can easily be installed using apt on Ubuntu style Linux.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden