RE: [Groff] groff_man.man revised -- Fast Reply

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: RE: [Groff] groff_man.man revised -- Fast Reply
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 23:16:48 +0100

>>> 5. The following requests cause a break:
>>> .HP .IP .LP .P .PP .RE .RS .SH .SS .TH .TP

>> Identical -- shall I mention this in groff_man?
>>

> I doubt a man pages newbie will honour this. And the advanced will
> get this detail of there look on the printed peaces of paper.

As long as everything runs alright you do not need a documentation, but
as soon as problems arise you are happy to have a concise documentation
telling you if you are wrong or if this is a bug.  Moreover you know if
your fix is using a feature or a dirty hack.

I propose to include as many details as possible into the official
documentation and to write separate O'Reilly books for pedestrians.
Good documentation is the base for concise documents and happy users.
Badly documented software tends to vanish - except you have enough
criminal power to impress the industry.

Bernd Warken <address@hidden>