Re: groff git HEAD not building on macOS? (was: Long text in tbl won't w

From: Axel Kielhorn
Subject: Re: groff git HEAD not building on macOS? (was: Long text in tbl won't wrap, maybe related to mom)
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 16:47:43 +0100

> Am 07.02.2021 um 22:49 schrieb G. Branden Robinson
> <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com>:
>
> At 2021-02-05T14:26:33-0500, T. Kurt Bond wrote:
>> and ran it with the slightly munged (but with nothing in mom changed)
>> and several months out of date version of groff from git.  (it's out
>> of date since it's been several months since making groff finished
>> successfully.  I'm on macOS, and I *think* it's something in Xcode
>> causing the problem.)
>
> This is distressing news given that we have a release candidate out.
> Does the 1.23.0.rc1 on alpha.gnu.org not build, either?
>
> https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/groff/
>
> Is anyone else on this list using macOS?  Can you try a groff build?  If
> there's a build failure on this platform I'd like to know about it.

I just build groff from git with:

./bootstrap
./configure --with-uchardet=no
make

It seems configure finds

checking for uchardet >= 0.0.1... yes

But it isn’t found when compiling

src/preproc/preconv/preconv.cpp:27:10: fatal error: 'uchardet/uchardet.h' file
not found
#include <uchardet/uchardet.h>

Uchardet is in
/opt/local/include/uchardet
installed by Macports.

I looked at some pdfs generated by gruff and they seem fine.

I’m on System 10.13 (Darwin 17.7)

Hope that helps.

Greetings Axel