Re: getting more out of man pages with less(1)

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: getting more out of man pages with less(1)
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 23:29:03 +0200

Good evening and Hello.

Steffen Nurpmeso wrote in
 <20210523004836.gTA8l%steffen@sdaoden.eu>:
 ||> Good idea.  I've further changed the Subject: to reflect the flow of the
 ||> discussion.
 ||> I also wonder if the pager wars are basically over and less(1) won them.
 ||That's certainly what I thought...
 | ..
 |
 |Ever since less(1) started supporting OSC 8 "Hyperlinks in
 |Terminal Emulators" as of version 566 i wanted to rewrite my
 |mdocmx(7) extension to be based upon the OSC 8 sequences that now
 |become more and more common.
 |
 |So the last two days i finally made the great and implemented
 |OSC 8 for my mdoxmx macro package extension, as well as for grotty
 |v1.22.3 and less v586.  Yay.
 |grotty was a bit hard because i wanted to implement all sorts of
 |OSC 8 things, even those they did not invent there in that github
 |repo, like document-local anchors and document-local "URI"s (i
 |used the usual "#REF" syntax used by eg HTML).

Ok, so i slept over that and have to say the grotty part was
silly.  I was coming from mdocmx thinking.  I will rewrite it like

  \X'tty osc8 [id ID] [uri URI]'

aka leave the user in charge of just about anything, without any
testing, and without keywords we actually see an end-marker.
This means that macros or converters are in charge of creating
#ANCHORs and links as well as man://NAME.SECTION URLs, but then
again that is the usual thing of doing things, and one cannot
enforce a thing with a too-complicated i-do-it-all-for-you.
Ciao,

--steffen