Re: Using arbitrary fonts

From: Blake McBride
Subject: Re: Using arbitrary fonts
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 10:50:11 -0600

Hi Branden,

Thanks a lot for the help!!!  However, I am having trouble interpreting
your docs.

Please forgive me.  Although I am a software engineer and have been using
nroff/troff/groff for nearly 40 years, I never really got into the details
behind fonts and their various formats.  I basically know very little about
them.  The basic fonts that come with nroff/troff/groff have generally met
my needs.

1. I am using PDF (not PS).

2.  As I mentioned, I have .otf, .ttf, .woff, and .woff2 files.  So my
question is, can I use any of those, or do I need to convert them to
another format?

2.a.  If I need to convert them, which do I start with, and what am I
converting them to?

2.b.  How do I convert them?

3.  What do I install, and where do I install them?  Is there a special
procedure besides just copying them?

4. Do I need to do something special to give them a name within an mm
context?

After all of that, doing

\f[YOURNEWFONT]Blake McBride\f[]

seems easy enough.

If I can understand this and get it working, I would be happy to produce
formal documentation for inclusion with GROFF (if desired).

Thanks!

Blake McBride