Re: patching gcc to allow other calling conventions

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: patching gcc to allow other calling conventions
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 18:30:20 -0400

Hello,

> But the used sbcl derivative although not gnu is either in the public domain
> or bsd so we should be able to publish what we are doing. I prefere now to
> start working on a simple jit scheme for the fun of it, because it is a good
> learning experience and that getting results are a good driver to continueu.

A JIT would be a good thing for Guile to have. I worked on a JIT a
while ago, and I found that the hard part was not generating machine
code or connecting it to the VM - both of which it looks like you've
done - but making the JIT engine understand all of the VM
instructions. You could just hard-code them all, but then you've got a
complete duplicate of vm-engine.c with exactly the same information,
but in different syntax. So I thought I wanted some way to generate
the JIT from vm-engine.c, but that requires parsing C code. That's a
capability I want Guile to have in general, but I haven't made it
happen yet.

What do you think about this? Would you just want to maintain the JIT
engine separately from vm-engine.c, or would you like to automatically
generate it?

(Note: you could also generate vm-engine.c and your JIT from some
third source, but I think we rejected that for being too complicated.
It would certainly make the build process more difficult.)

Noah