Re: GNU Guile 3.0.9rc1 available for testing!

From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: GNU Guile 3.0.9rc1 available for testing!
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 14:23:53 +0100

Ludovic Courtès writes:

Hi Ludo,

> Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> skribis:
>
>> Yeah, you need at least
>>
>>     76950b428 Support for x86_64-w64-mingw32.
>>
>> or something similar, or another approach for addressing the
>> SIZEOF_LONG==4 issue on MinGW.
>
> Oh sorry, I had completely overlooked that patch (and branch).

No problem.  Mike has been looking into this as well.  Also, there are
commits that should probably be squashed into this, such as

    9a29293a8 More long integer fixes for x86_64-w64-mingw32
    46bb667f2 MinGW 64: fixes hash out-of-range error for 64-bit negative
numbers

> I’m hesitant about applying it at this late stage, also because I
> haven’t thought about the possible choices and implications.  Maybe this
> will have to wait until the next round (bah!)?

Yeah, that seems wise.

Also there is still an unresolved problem with file-name-convention.

We probably want

    2d82b49cf mingw: canonicalize-path: Also canonicalize drive letter and '/'.

Also, during a (cross)build, file-name-convention from build host is
used/assumed.  I tried to creat a fix

   9bfd0b544 squash! Fix 'absolute-file-name?' and others for cross-build to
MinGW.
   96597fa21 Fix 'absolute-file-name?' and others for cross-build to MinGW.

but iirc, Mike found a problem with these.  Hairy stuff.

>> And compile with --disable-jit, AFAIK nobody got that to work just
>> yet.
>
> OK.
>
> Thanks for the heads-up!

You're welcome, it's great that guile at least builds with MintGW now.

Greetings,
Janneke

--
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org