Re: libglade and guile-gtk

From: Ken Restivo
Subject: Re: libglade and guile-gtk
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 20:35:03 -0800

OK, well here I am on guile-gtk, thanks!

The error message that was snipped was:
       GLib-CRITICAL **: file ghash.c: line 138 (g_hash_table_lookup):
assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed.
        ** WARNING **: unknown widget class 'GtkWindow'

That doesn't make any sense: I can't imagine that a fundamental class like
GtkWindow wouldn't be implemented in libglade-guile. I found things that don't
make sense to me. 'w' should be a GtkWindow, but:
        guile> w
        #<GtkLabel 809cda0>
        guile> gui
        #<GladeXML 809ab50>

I'm not sure why glade-xml-get-widget is returning a GtkLabel instead of the
GtkWindow I'd expect.

I'd love any clues as to what I'm doing wrong, or where I would even start
troubleshooting this. My test application is so simple that I can't possibly be
the first person to have seen this problem.

I do not want to go galloping off to GTK2, especially not to discover that I'm
still making the same obvious mistake. Unfortunately, I'm wedded to GTK1.2 and
Guile 1.4 anyway, and so will anyone who uses the stuff I might end up writing
in Guile/Gtk.

Thanks!

- -ken
- ----------------
On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 12:10:07PM +0100, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> Ken Restivo <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I'm trying to find out if Guile and libglade work together, and can't seem
> > to get the simplest sample application to run.
> >
> > When I run:
> >     (use-modules
> >             (gtk gtk)
> >             (gtk libglade)
> >     )
> >     (define gui (glade-xml-new "gladetest.glade" "topwindow"))
> >     (glade-xml-signal-autoconnect gui)
> >     (define w (glade-xml-get-widget gui "topwindow") )
> >     (gtk-standalone-main w)
> >
> [error msgs snipped]
>
> > I'm on Debian Woody, with GTK1.2, libglade0 0.17, Guile 1.4, and
> > libguilegtk0 0.20.
> >
> > I'm probably doing something very obviously wrong, but I've no idea what.
> >
> Maybe you could try guile-gobject[1], which is contains a GTK+2
> binding, including libglade (the glade example seems to work for me
> [tm])...
>
> Also, you might be interested in the guile-gtk mailing list[2].
>
> [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gtk/docs/guile-gobject/
> --
> Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden |
> address@hidden
> http://yi.org/rotty      | GnuPG Key: http://yi.org/rotty/gpg.asc
> Fingerprint              | DFB4 4EB4 78A4 5EEE 6219  F228 F92F CFC5 01FD 5B62
>
> Packages should build-depend on what they should build-depend.

- --
The world's most affordable web hosting.
http://www.nearlyfreespeech.net