Re: No success joining in yet

From: Detlev Zundel
Subject: Re: No success joining in yet
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:28:30 +0100

Hi Mark,

> My autofoo is not particularly good, but I'll try to help anyway :)

"Not particularly good" is still infitely better than "non existant" as
mine could be described ;)

> Detlev Zundel <address@hidden> writes:
>>   ./configure: line 14046: GUILE_PROGS: command not found
>>   ./configure: line 14047: GUILE_FLAGS: command not found
>
> This indicates that the definitions of the m4 macros GUILE_PROGS and
> GUILE_FLAGS are missing, so they were left unexpanded in the resulting
> "configure" script.
>
> Guile should have installed a file called "guile.m4" containing
> definitions for these macros in @datadir@/aclocal/ (typically
> ${prefix}/share/aclocal), and these should have been imported into
> "aclocal.m4" in your g-wrap source directory when "aclocal" was run
> (part of what "autogen.sh" does).

Ah, thanks for the pointer:

address@hidden g-wrap (master)][0]$ aclocal --print-ac-dir
/usr/share/aclocal
address@hidden g-wrap (master)][0]$ ls -l /usr/local/share/aclocal/guile.m4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 8555 Dec  9 16:14 /usr/local/share/aclocal/guile.m4
address@hidden g-wrap (master)][0]$

Hm, I wonder when that changed - I'm sure that this worked before.  This
is a Debian wheezy system with automake "1:1.11.1-1" installed.

> It might be sufficient to simply run "./autogen.sh" again (remember to
> pass it the configure options as well).

I tried that already - no change.

> However, it's also possible that your "guile.m4" file is missing, or was
> installed somewhere that aclocal is not looking.  For details on where
> "aclocal" searches and how to modify its search path, see:
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Macro-Search-Path

It's installed, but aclocal does not look into /usr/local (anymore?).  I
tried running autogen.sh with "-I /usr/local/share/aclocal" but that
doesn't work:

address@hidden g-wrap (master)][0]$ ./autogen.sh -I /usr/local/share/aclocal
- ignoring unknown autogen.sh argument -I
- ignoring unknown autogen.sh argument /usr/local/share/aclocal
+ check for build tools

Also tried to run it like this:

address@hidden g-wrap (master)][0]$ ./autogen.sh -- --I /usr/local/share/aclocal
+ options passed to configure:  --I /usr/local/share/aclocal
+ check for build tools

Still aclocal only gets to run as "aclocal -I m4".  I see no way to run
autogen.sh with the required options.  Hm, looking at autogen.sh, I
tried this and this works:

ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /usr/local/share/aclocal" ./autogen.sh

> Alternatively, you should simply use the g-wrap 1.9.14 tarball, which
> was released 4 days ago and works great for me!

I was able to compile g-wrap now, let's see how far this gets me ;)

Thanks for all the help.
  Detlev

--
Lobbing insults is not a useful technique for reaching understanding.
                                        -- Thomas Bushnell, BSG