guix-devel

Re: Planning for the next release

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Planning for the next release
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 13:52:00 -0400

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 10:26:54AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:
> > I just pushed a tzdata update to a new staging branch. Let's build and
> > merge this branch before the next release.
>
> We can do that, but should it be a blocker?  Anyway, let’s try and we’ll
> see.
>
> BTW:

> $ ./pre-inst-env guix refresh -l -e '(@@ (gnu packages base) tzdata)'
> Building the following 239 packages would ensure 442 dependent packages are
> rebuilt

It used to be about ~1400 :)

> I was expecting to see fewer packages depending on this one since
> 3ffaec136fab017e6cc094287da207cf30f05974.  Perhaps in the ‘staging’
> branch we should migrate a few more packages to ‘tzdata-2017a’?

The bulk of it comes through libical, so I'm not sure we can get it
under 300 rebuilds without removing tzdata from libical.

Having said that, I'm not sure if libical even needs a run-time
reference to tzdata. At least, we didn't notice that it was missing for
~1 year:

<https://bugs.gnu.org/26039>