[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Planning for the next release

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Planning for the next release
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 00:27:11 +0200
User-agent: Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/25.1 (gnu/linux)

Hello Guix!

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

>    1. ‘core-updates’ merged.  We’re almost there!
>    2. ‘wip-installer’ retested, and probably merged.
>       I think the prerequisite for it would be to do some more testing.
>       Last time people reported glitches here and there but John has
>       done quite a bit of work since then.  John: what about doing
>       another round of tests?
>       In the installation image, we should probably make the installer
>       optional and mark it as “beta” or something like that.  That will
>       leave us time to iron out remaining issues, and will avoid having
>       people expect a rock-solid Debian-style installer.
>       As far as review is concerned, we can probably do a quick and
>       lightweight review process since that’s quite a big chunk of code
>       and we don’t want the branch to block indefinitely.  So we can do
>       that quick process, and then incrementally improve it if needed.
>       I think it’s a reasonable approach given that the installer is
>       mostly an independent component.
>       John, everyone: thoughts?
>    3. UEFI support documented and possibly improved.
>       We can certainly document the UEFI setup and add the /boot/efi
>       partition in some of the ‘operating-system’ examples.
>       The more difficult part is the installation: do we need to make a
>       second, UEFI-specific, installation image?  When I installed
>       GuixSD on UEFI, I booted our installation image as “legacy”, but
>       then GRUB would default to a legacy install, not a UEFI install:
>       I’m not sure exactly what needs to be done.  Thoughts?
>    4. Fix low-hanging fruits at <>; your help
>       welcome!

I’m going to be mostly away for a week, but it would be nice if we could
release after that, wouldn’t it?

I think we’ll have to postpone work on the installer though since that
would leave too little time now.



reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]