guix-devel

Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: website: say what Guix is at the very top
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 18:03:31 -0500

On 01/24/2018 at 15:22 Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hello!
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

[...]
>> - The two sites should have separate Download sections.
[...]
> Agreed.

> So I guess we should start working in that direction.

[...]

Hello Ludo’ and Ricardo,

Before you build these two sites, how about considering a more unified
approach? IMO this will be easier for users to understand and require
less work. Using 'GuixE' to refer to everything in '(guix) Top' you
could say:

The GuixE software environment manager creates user environments that
are completely and independently specified by users. GuixE users are
never are stuck needing software that a Sysadmin can't, won't, or hasn't
installed. A GuixE user can run multiple, differing environments
simultaneously and can replicate any environment on any GuixE run-time
platform.  GuixE provides system-wide environment management when
appropriate to the run-time platform.  Creation, modification, and
upgrade are atomic and roll-back is instantaneous, so GuixE users and
sysadmins are never stuck with a broken user environment or system.
GuixE implements a functional specification of package, user, and system
configurations using the Scheme language.  GuixE complies with the FSF
Four Essential Freedoms and Free System Distribution Guidelines and
provides easy and immediate access to the exact source being run.  By
default, GuixE uses pre-built package substitutes from the GuixE build
farm and mirrors but users may build any package, or a complete system,
from package developer sources.

GuixE is available on multiple run-time platforms including bare metal
(GuixSD), Virtual Machines (QEMU image), and any GNU/Linux distro (Guix
Binary).

A "product sales message" that goes with this looks like ...

Introducing GuixE - the first software environment manager that solves
the problems of both sysadmins and users of GNU/Linux:

- sysadmin problems:

 - Because I have to modify the system to meet user needs and these are
   risky, I have to prototype every change on a test system

 - because system changes takes time, I can't keep up with user software
   requests and users are unhappy

 - Users request conflicting packages, so I can't make everyone happy

- user problems:

 - I need software that sysops won't or hasn't provide

 - sysops changes stuff and my environment breaks

 - I need software that sysops can't provide because it conflicts with
   other user requirements

WDYT?

George

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html