guix-devel

Re: Communication and Design at Guix

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Communication and Design at Guix
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 12:00:27 +0100

Hi all,

I'm not an expert on "hot to write a reference manual" but I like how
the content is organized in Guix manual and I'd like that all Guix
documentation will remain a coherent set

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> nly <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> continuing with the emacs example, a guixwiki.org would be awesome as
>> an analog for emacswiki.org. User maintained, quick and short examples
>> with lots of supporting links.
>
> Hmm, I have the opposite opinion.  I find the emacswiki to be a great
> example for what’s wrong with wikis :)

i agree with Ricardo verbatim

with all due respect to people involved, I find emacswiki one of the
worst source of information and documentation on Emacs: all is scattered
across many pages and hardly I (an emacs newbie) found
valuable information - most outdated - there

speaking of content organization, we should take inspiration from
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/index.html [1]

obviously there is always space for *presentation* enhancements (CSS and
alike) but that's another story

[...]

> I would welcome patches that add a new cookbook document.

...or a FAQ document

should we start a documentation-wishlist.org in maintenance/doc?

(I'm still not sufficiently skilled to help with content, but can help
keep such todo-lists)

[...]

happy hacking!
Giovanni

[1] AFAIK each documented mode or package is part of the official Emacs
distribution while external packages are not documented

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures