guix-devel

Re: Feature requests

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Feature requests
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 15:36:05 +0100

Mh… so I'm still not sure if that's an actual issue. You can always install two software that rely on different versions of a library. I guess in your example it only means that we need two libc packages, right? As long as you're able to define a package recipe for everything you want, using different versions of the same package is fine, because they are different inputs, so they have a different store path.

A package built with glibc 2.10 well reference that old libc and never know about the newer ones even if they're installed in the same profile, as long as the libc is not a propagated-input.

I still don't see an incompatibility that's not solved by guix. With python packages however that's very different because inputs are propagated. If python could reference its dependencies directly, it would have been just fine, but indeed two incompatible dependencies will end up in your profile. We can wrap python software already though, so it ignores the environment and picks only the dependencies it was built with. That's not always the best solution though. Maybe you can give as a concrete example for the python case? Then we will be able to help you better and come up with the right solution for your problems :)

From what you describe I still think that guix environments are what you want: if you have python-foo and python-bar that both depend on incompatible versions of python-baz, you can create an environment for python-foo:

guix environment --ad-hoc python python-foo --pure

In which you can use python-foo but not python-bar, and a similar command will give you a similar environment where you can run python-bar but not python-foo.

If you suppose these python packages provide a foo and a bar command, you could also do:

alias bar=guix environment --ad-hoc python python-bar --pure -- bar

And the same for foo, and you would have isolated environments. You can also use that to control what python-foo has access to at runtime. For instance if it can use python-foobar at runtime, you would do:

alias foo=guix environment --ad-hoc python python-foo python-foobar --pure -- foo

And the foo command now has access to its runtime dependency (if it wasn't already declared at build time).

HTH