guix-devel

Re: Guix on Purism's Librems?

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: Re: Guix on Purism's Librems?
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 09:42:28 -0400

Katherine Cox-Buday writes:

> Hey all,

Hi Katherine!

> I brought this up in IRC tonight, and I thought I'd cast a net on the
> mailing list to collect experiences. I am considering purchasing a
> Librem laptop, and I was curious how Guix runs on it. Would anyone who
> has these laptops (especially if you have a version with the TPM and
> head) care to write up an experience-report?

I have a LibreM laptop.  I'm not using it at the moment because I need
to send it in for repairs (and keep procrastinating on that) but I'll
say that GuixSD worked just fine out of the box.

> Also, would it make sense for us to have a package specifically for
> hardware like this to make it easier to build install images for the
> machines? Even if the packages don't do much, there is still value in
> declaring that the specific configuration of hardware has been
> investigated, and is supported.

I'm happy to publish my guix configuration if it helps, though I think
it isn't anything particularly special for the laptop to work.

That said I think I'd love more reports about what laptops/machines
people have gotten to work with GuixSD and what challenges they've run
into in general.  It would be nice to collect that.

 - Chris