guix-devel

Re: Guix on Purism's Librems?

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Guix on Purism's Librems?
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 10:24:09 -0500

Christopher Lemmer Webber <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a LibreM laptop.  I'm not using it at the moment because I need
> to send it in for repairs (and keep procrastinating on that) but I'll
> say that GuixSD worked just fine out of the box.

Is the boot process as secure as the so-called "Pure Boot" process with
Pure OS? It's not clear to me how to use the TPM or head with Guix.

>> Also, would it make sense for us to have a package specifically for
>> hardware like this to make it easier to build install images for the
>> machines? Even if the packages don't do much, there is still value in
>> declaring that the specific configuration of hardware has been
>> investigated, and is supported.
>
> I'm happy to publish my guix configuration if it helps, though I think
> it isn't anything particularly special for the laptop to work.
>
> That said I think I'd love more reports about what laptops/machines
> people have gotten to work with GuixSD and what challenges they've run
> into in general.  It would be nice to collect that.

Yes! And I think a great way to collect those responses would be
programatically. For example, you say that there wasn't "anything
particularly sspecial for the laptop to work". I still think there's
value in programatically declaring support for the Librem -- even if
there's nothing much there. It allows future users to have confidence
that the hardware configuration is supported. And should something come
up, we already have somewhere to hang our hat :)

--
Katherine