guix-devel

Re: Guix on Purism's Librems?

From: Tobias Platen
Subject: Re: Guix on Purism's Librems?
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 13:59:35 +0200

Am 18.04.2019 um 04:44 schrieb Katherine Cox-Buday:

> Hey all,
>
> I brought this up in IRC tonight, and I thought I'd cast a net on the
> mailing list to collect experiences. I am considering purchasing a
> Librem laptop, and I was curious how Guix runs on it. Would anyone who
> has these laptops (especially if you have a version with the TPM and
> head) care to write up an experience-report?
>
> Also, would it make sense for us to have a package specifically for
> hardware like this to make it easier to build install images for the
> machines? Even if the packages don't do much, there is still value in
> declaring that the specific configuration of hardware has been
> investigated, and is supported.

Guix runs on two of my coreboot machines: the ThinkPad X200 and the
Vikings D16.
Since the Librem laptop has Intel ME, it won't respect privacy and
freedom. [1]
The Talos II [2] and the upcoming PowerPC notebook [3] do not have that
problem.
Currently I am working on a port to Guix to PPC64EL so that I can use
Guix on my Talos II.

Tobias

[1]
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/sysadmin/the-management-engine-an-attack-on-computer-users-freedom