guix-devel

Re: (not) testing Rust packages?!

From: John Soo
Subject: Re: (not) testing Rust packages?!
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 08:46:48 -0800

Hi Hartmut and Martin,

I think it makes sense to run tests now.

> Part of the reason is that bringing tests for a given library can bring in a
> massive amount of dependencies.

I think that we are getting close to having complete dependencies for most rust
packages we have and most are declared in the package definition.

Furthermore since most rust libraries we have are not executables, we could
still skip the build and run the tests I think. Aren’t the two phases
completely separate for cargo?

Other downsides I see for not skipping the build are really increasing the
store size.  Would skipping builds but still running tests increase the store
size at all?

I like the idea of having tests, too.  Plus I’d like to see the cargo build
system come closer to the standard package definition.

John