guix-devel

Re: Cuirass and SQL

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: Cuirass and SQL
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 14:15:54 +0530

Hi zimoun,

> Initially, Cuirass was using SQLite but then switched [1] to
> PostgreSQL.  The main reason is scalability.

Ah, I see. I didn't know that.

> I do not know if it is a technically doable to have two SQL backends and
> let the user pick the one they prefer.  For sure, it is not doable from
> a maintenance point of view.

It should be possible with guile-dbi and guile-dbd-*, which abstract
away the database server in use. But, cuirass switched from
guile-sqlite3 to guile-squee, both of which are database server
specific.

> About the complexity of PostgreSQL, I think the Guix services [2,3]
> help here.

There's still the complexity of backing up a PostgreSQL
database---something IIUC the Guix service does not help with, and
probably cannot help with. Then, there's the added complexity of
maintaining database users and authentication. All this is very overkill
for a small CI system.

Cheers!
Arun