guix-devel

Re: substitute derivation: also substitute grafts?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: substitute derivation: also substitute grafts?
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 18:43:17 +0200

Hi!

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> While this is also an interesting development for grafts, my question is
> much narrowed.  I’d be very happy if we could have a little switch that
> made my daemon(s) ignore the “substitutable?” property and just
> substitute everything.
>
> I’m not looking for performance improvements in grafting, but in an
> option to totally avoid doing the work twice when substituting a
> derivation from a server in the same network.

The premise was that computing a graft is usually quicker than
transferring it, which is why they have #:substitutable? #f.

I don’t think it would be reasonable to have a switch to toggle
#:substitutable? because that would make .drv depend on external
factors.

However, when copying things around, you can still do: ‘guix copy
/gnu/store/…-xyz’ and that’ll work fine, whether or not it’s a graft.
But maybe that’s not a satisfying answer for your situation?

Ludo’.