guix-devel

Re: Ocaml

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Ocaml
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:55:20 +0100

Am Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 12:16:17PM +0100 schrieb Julien Lepiller:
> We can probably get rid of most 4.07 variants but I would keep the bootstrap
> (in the hope we can bootstrap later versions from it). 4.09 is still used for
> unison, and I think Andreas uses it a lot :)
> I'd say remove all leaf 4.07 packages that are libraries only.

My impression is that all 4.07 packages apart from ocaml@4.07 itself are
libraries; "guix refresh -l ocaml@4.07" returns only packages of the form
ocaml4.07-xxx. So by recursively removing leaf libraries, nothing will
be left over except for the bootstrap.

Unison has a newer release 2.53, with the following NEWS:
* OCaml >= 4.08 is required to build unison.
* unison can be built with (unreleased) OCaml 5.
So this could be tackled (after the core-updates merge, I would say).

Then there is usync depending on unison. It is unmaintained with the last
commit 5 years ago, so can maybe be dropped. Well, it is a simple scsh
script, so will probably continue to work by calling the unison and rsync
binaries.

Andreas