guix-devel

Re: Oniro or Guix on Zephyr kernel?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Oniro or Guix on Zephyr kernel?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 21:10:05 +0200

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 01:36:06PM -0500, Mitchell Schmeisser via Development
of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. wrote:
> jbranso@dismail.de writes:
>
> >> Guix System, 1 Gig of ram, etc, due to the package builder and Guix/Nix
> >> daemon? If it was possible
> >> to declare an instance of Guix System that did not include those and only
> >> used cross-compiled
> >> packages, could some portion of Guix System function in a similar way as
> >> Oniro, or is that a
> >> nonsense question?
>
> What I understand your question to be is "Can we use Guix to describe an
> embedded operating system which does not run Guix?" and I think the
> answer is probably. I don't think the guix daemon is technically required
> for the shepherd to boot (being the daemon is a shepherd process
> itself).

I can answer this. I built a one-off Guix image of gparted and it
doesn't have the guix-daemon service included.

> I don't think it's a good idea because you need the daemon in order to
> use `guix deploy`. Otherwise you have to make an installation image and
> it can become "involved."

If you were willing to forgo `guix deploy` (and guix install, and really
any package management) and just reflash it every time then the memory
constraints go down to whatever the running programs require.