guix-devel

Re: Cross compilation status

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Cross compilation status
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 08:55:47 -0400

Hi Mathieu!

Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> In order for Guix to become an alternative to tools such as Yocto and
> Buildroot, having most or all our packages cross-compiling is a
> prerequisite.
>
> Here is a status of cross-compilation in Guix. For cross-compilation to
> work, the build-system needs to support cross-compilation.
>
> The following build-systems explicitly refuse cross-compiling packages:
>
> haskell, agda, waf, chicken, rakudo, julia, python, emacs, rebar,
> cargo, ruby, renpy, dub, android-ndk, scons, dune, ant, pyproject,
> maven, asdf, r, ocaml, node

For Python, it's already reported at: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/60733.
And even implemented here: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/60849.

Why it hasn't been merged yet is because it's coupled with a more daring
change (unified build system for Python) and there were comments that
this should be an all or nothing change, so I'd need to workout all the
build systems and see what breakage happens at the global scale, which
is a rather large undertaking.

Maybe it could be decoupled from that change and tested in isolation,
pushed first; we'd loose the benefit of the later change which is the
ability to avoid wrapping native-inputs in our wrappers.

--
Thanks,
Maxim