guix-devel

Re: Cross compilation status

From: Guillaume Le Vaillant
Subject: Re: Cross compilation status
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 15:05:35 +0000

Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> skribis:

> In order for Guix to become an alternative to tools such as Yocto and
> Buildroot, having most or all our packages cross-compiling is a
> prerequisite.
>
> Here is a status of cross-compilation in Guix. For cross-compilation to
> work, the build-system needs to support cross-compilation.
>
> The following build-systems explicitly refuse cross-compiling packages:
>
> haskell, agda, waf, chicken, rakudo, julia, python, emacs, rebar, cargo,
> ruby, renpy, dub, android-ndk, scons, dune, ant, pyproject, maven, asdf, r,
> ocaml, node
>
> while the rest of the build-systems do accept cross-compiling packages:
>
> clojure, qt, copy, minetest-mod, tree-sitter, raw, linux-module, glib-or-gtk,
> asdf/source, go, cmake, minify, perl, trivial, guile, elm, font, gnu,
> asdf/ecl,
> asdf/sbcl, meson, mozilla, texlive

Hi.
I'm surprised to see asdf/* in the list of build systems accepting
to cross-compile packages. How did you test them?

Because I get (on a x86-64 machine):
$ guix build --target=aarch64-linux-gnu sbcl-alexandria
guix build: error: gnu/packages/lisp-xyz.scm:168:2: sbcl-alexandria@1.4: build
system `asdf/sbcl' does not support cross builds

$ guix build --target=aarch64-linux-gnu ecl-alexandria
guix build: error: gnu/packages/lisp-xyz.scm:168:2: ecl-alexandria@1.4: build
system `asdf/ecl' does not support cross builds

I'm not even sure if sbcl and ecl have the ability to compile Common
Lisp code for an architecture different from the one they are running
on.