guix-devel

Re: branch master updated: gnu: Add passff.

From: Clément Lassieur
Subject: Re: branch master updated: gnu: Add passff.
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 15:23:26 +0100

Hi Kaelyn,

On Sat, Oct 28 2023, Kaelyn wrote:

> I agree about this. When I packaged passff-host locally some time ago, I saw

I'm happy I'm not alone packaging Icecat extensions :)

> it has a runtime dependency on python and also needs to be able to find the
> pass binary.

My patch also has dependencies on python and password-store.  You can
have a look at documentation about G-Expressions to understand how.

> I've attached the bare (unfinished/unpolished) package definition
> extracted from my local channel and attached it, for if it is of assistance to
> folks.

It's a bit late for passff-host because it's already there (and it works
well), but if you need help for packaging other Icecat extensions, I'd
be glad to help.

> My definition tries to embed a sane path for finding pass with a
> default of the path to the password-store package it was built against, and
> also tries to copy the passff.json into the correct browser folder for

[...]

>     ;; FIXME: The passff.json in etc/ needs to go into a browser-dependent
>     ;; location to work with that specific browser. How to install it to the
>     ;; right location needs to be figured out and documented.

The Icecat browser-dependent location did not exist before
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=25043e01b6cb6696ffdc6cdedd9cdf8235bb695c.

Now it is in /lib/icecat, e.g. /lib/icecat/native-messaging-hosts

[...]

>     ;; NOTE: python-build-system is used instead of copy-build-system to
>     ;; automatically pick up the Python 3 dependency and to wrap the installed
>     ;; Python script.

`trivial-build-system` is enough, most of the work is done by the
Makefile and install_host_app.sh.

Thanks,
Clément