guix-devel

Re: time-bomb and CI? (was bug#69800: kcalendarcore time-bomb)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: time-bomb and CI? (was bug#69800: kcalendarcore time-bomb)
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 11:51:49 +0200

Hi,

Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

> Other said, would it be possible to have one (or more) node that build
> with a date in the future?  Say 3 years.  In Bordeaux?  Or in Berlin?
> Using the “Dolorean VM” [2], it could be nice to setup one node.

[...]

> https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2024/adventures-on-the-quest-for-long-term-reproducible-deployment

Yes!

As I wrote in the blog post above, I think the best way to help get
there is to work on optimizing the ‘virtual-build-machine’ service a
bit, along the lines noted in the blog post above (SSH over AF_VSOCK,
guest store overlaid over the host store itself mounted as virtiofs,
etc.).

The second best way is to propose a patch against maintenance.git adding
‘virtual-build-machine’ services to some of the build machines (similar
to how we add childhurds to some of them) so we can start experimenting.
It’ll be kinda random—some builds will be offloaded to the VMs, some
won’t—but it’s a start.

Ludo’.