guix-devel

Re: branch master updated (2bea3f2562 -> 6745d692d4)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: branch master updated (2bea3f2562 -> 6745d692d4)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 22:46:06 +0200

kiasoc5 <kiasoc5@disroot.org> writes:

>>> Also, there appears to be a couple of FIXUP commits that were pushed.
>> Yeah, it's very annoying that I missed these two FIXUP commits :-/
>>

> Seeing that these are the only 2 FIXUP commits on the master branch
> history so far, would it make sense to force push and edit the
> history? Yes, it would mess up everyone's local checkout, but if
> editing the history for Guix would ever be justified, I feel like this
> would be one such scenario.

I don't see how one would consider something as drastic as rewriting
history justified in this case.

The commits are not bad.  They are not wrong.  The opposite is the case:
they fix mistakes introduced by previous commits.  They only have the
wrong commit message, and they only have the wrong message because they
are so small that I had planned to meld them with the then unpublished
commits that introduced the bugs.

Rewriting history would be a colossal overreaction.  Instead these
commits should be a visible reminder that even contributors of many
thousand commits over the past decade may still fumble the ball and mess
up.  (Alas, this is not a reminder I personally need...)

--
Ricardo