gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Backend Debouch

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Backend Debouch
Date: 23 Aug 2002 10:44:55 -0600

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 04:27, Armin Roehrl wrote:
> I think it's best to make it work for one. It does not matter so much
> which one -- simply chose one, make it work, then learn from
> the mistakes and think of how to extend it or not.
>
> I personally prefer FOX to GTK as I start to understand FOX,
> but I do not know GTK well enough to give qualified reasons
> why FOX. Some people claim that FOX is easier to learn and
> use than GTK. Is that true?

this morning as i woke up i had a "bright" idea. to your, and
potentially lyles's possible dismay it does not invlove using FOX.
personally i see FOX/FXRuby as something that stands on its own two
feet. it provides its own look and feel (although much like windows) and
is multi-platform (running on linux and windows). given that, i don't
know how well FOX and FXRuby would be served by something like GUtopIa.
but i'll let lyle have the fianl say in this when the time comes. if he
would like to see a GUtopIa binding to FOX, then we can pursue that.

the consideration of native integration was again running threw my mind,
and of course the hope for that has been wxWindows. but i have received
no response on the development of the wxRuby bindings, and as i pointed
out my wxPython tests were a little sour. so it was looking bleak on
that end, but then it struck me: since GUtopIa is a "topend" that can
support multiple backends, why not go straight to the sources, so to
speak. which leads me to two important GUI's i left out yesterday:

 VRuby/SWin - this is th Windows only GUI api

 RubyCocoa - this is the Mac OS X only GUI api

now throw in Ruby/Gtk to that mix and you have your cross-platform
requirements met.

so i think your right, i'm picking one for now and going for it: Gtk.
but i would like it if i could find a couple of other developers to pick
up VRuby/SWin and Ruby/Cocoa as well.

~transami