gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Backend Debouch

From: Leon Torres
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Backend Debouch
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:14:54 -0700 (PDT)

On 23 Aug 2002, Tom Sawyer wrote:

> so that looks to be the lay of land. please express your opinions on
> what i've said here. what kind of time frames do you expect on these
> developing GUIs?

Actually, I'd argue for developing gutopia with several tks at once.
There's no better way to discover the problems of an abstraction layer
than by attempting to apply it concurrently. Since I'm fairly committed to
keeping the paragui/gutopia part up to speed, that's at least two tks
we'll be experimenting with. Hopefully that should be plenty.

In my experience, gtk is a bit more verbose than fox, and it would
probably benefit more readily from gutopia. My vote for gtk.

Also, I'd like to make a comment about ParaGUI's maturity. The ParaGUI
project is pretty much done as far as I can tell. There's not much
development going on, mostly tweaks and minor fixes. That's not a bad
thing because ParaGUI already works well for its intended purpose: Game
Programming. In that light, I don't think we should have too much of an
expectation for this tk. As far as we should be concnerned, it's ready.
(Well, after some binding cleanups.)

- Leon