gutopia-dev

Re: [rgui-dev] Backend Debouch

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: Re: [rgui-dev] Backend Debouch
Date: 24 Aug 2002 01:35:53 -0600

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 12:14, Leon Torres wrote:
> Actually, I'd argue for developing gutopia with several tks at once.
> There's no better way to discover the problems of an abstraction layer
> than by attempting to apply it concurrently. Since I'm fairly committed to
> keeping the paragui/gutopia part up to speed, that's at least two tks
> we'll be experimenting with. Hopefully that should be plenty.

agreed. while we have to start somewhere, and that is GTK (a portion of
this already has preliminary code), it will be better to develop as many
of the backends as we can simultaneously to help make sure we have an
api that will work across the board. once we hash out the basic api
itself and how the code itself should be structured, i will attempt to
recruit a few other developers to work on the other backends, by then i
hope to have an working first-shot alpha release of the GTK part.
perhaps by then we can also have the same for ParaGUI? and that might
put some fire under other developers to help us out with the others.

> Also, I'd like to make a comment about ParaGUI's maturity. The ParaGUI
> project is pretty much done as far as I can tell. There's not much
> development going on, mostly tweaks and minor fixes. That's not a bad
> thing because ParaGUI already works well for its intended purpose: Game
> Programming. In that light, I don't think we should have too much of an
> expectation for this tk. As far as we should be concnerned, it's ready.
> (Well, after some binding cleanups.)

i was hoping to her that form you! :-) yes, you are right. after playing
with it some more i realized i just had a bad installation originally.
there are still some minor points, but on the whole it is ready to roll.
i wouldn't say there's not much development going on though, i still see
some activity in the mailing list and there is a poll on the site with
regards to what to do next. so paragui is still improving, which is good
too.

transami