gutopia-dev

RE: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [rgui-dev] RE: Backend Debouch
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 07:17:11 -0700

Laurent Julliard wrote:

> > please consider all this carefully. i can tell you are very psyched
> > about the idea of having a "SWT for Ruby" and that certainly has merit.
> > perhaps too, you believe by lifting the SWT code we can get this done
> > faster. i can understand both these thoughts. but be reassured, while
> > our work may not be as refined as SWT for awhile, we will actually have
> > a basic working system of extrodinary capability beyond that of SWT in
> > rather short order.
> >

> I don't think my view is incompatible with yours. What I'm saying is
> that SWT is a great source of inspiration on how to *do* (=implement)
> things from an engineering standpoint. If you have it right like the SWT
> people did then you can confortably build any level of sophistication in
> pure Ruby either in terms of widgets or programming model.

Laurent is doing a good job of pushing/supporting the SWT approach, so I
won't repeat any of that other than to say I agree with him 100%.

Having said that, my real motive is to have an usable GUI toolkit for
FreeRIDE (and Ruby applications built using FreeRIDE). I will support *any*
effort that promises to give me that. However, my personal *ideal* solution
would have an SWT-Ruby at the low-level and GUtopIa at the high-level.

Curt