Are you trolling us?

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Are you trolling us?
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 15:53:13 -0400

I have a very strong feeling that we're being trolled.

I'm seeing the same question being repeated under different personal
names, in slightly different formats.  All of the personal names
are composed of two lower-case words joined by a hyphen (foo-bar).

The question is always some combination of the following set of issues:

1) They're parsing options.

2) They want to assign a default value to a variable, but they insist
   on doing this *after* the processing has finished, rather than before.
   This means they have to somehow "check" whether their variable has been
   "set".

3) They're defining local variables inside a conditional block (one branch
   of a case statement), and then they act surprised when an invocation
   that does not execute that block of code behaves differently.

In <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-bash/2021-07/msg00163.html>
we see this code:

  ("-w"|"--warning")
     local warn="1"