Re: Feature Request: Help for S/R and R/R Errors

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Feature Request: Help for S/R and R/R Errors
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 21:56:58 +0200

On 27 Oct 2006, at 19:42, Bob Smith wrote:

When Bison encounters a S/R or R/R error, it would be helpful if it could also write to the output file an input stream which would trigger the error.

That way, the user could run the input stream through the grammar so as to better understand the problem. As it is, we're told in which state the problem is encountered, but not how we might have gotten there. I've found it difficult to trace backwards through the states in an attempt to understand the error.

I appreciate that there might well be more than one path to get to the state with the error, but any help along these lines would be welcome.

I think by experience, one can do without such a feature. S/R conflicts can often be resolved by setting token precedences (%left, etc.) on the tokens immediately before and after the '.' in the conflicting rules. R/R conflicts is usually a faulty grammar, or due to the insufficiency of LALR(1), and in the latter case, one might pass to GLR or use other specialty techniques.

If you have some such problems, you may post them here, or in the Usenet newsgroup comp.compilers.

  Hans Aberg