Re: Feature Request: Help for S/R and R/R Errors

From: Satya
Subject: Re: Feature Request: Help for S/R and R/R Errors
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 09:02:10 -0600

Satya is developing a GUI for displaying Bison grammars, I think, so
you might explain your ideas to him.

   Hans Aberg

hi,
I am experimenting with various possibilities of helping people  understand
Bison (and parsing in general) better.  I have currently implemented a gdb
style interactive grammar debugger by adding some code to Bison. It is still
very basic and experimental; the idea is that this can be used to construct
a GUI (like ddd or cgdb say) on top of it.

You can find a page for this here:
http://cs.uic.edu/~spopuri/ibison.html<http://cs.uic.edu/%7Espopuri/ibison.html>

It provides commands for single stepping though a test input file  while
parsing; so you find out whats wrong or right with your grammar
interactively. I haven't (so far) tested this tool in the presence of S/R
and R/R conflicts.

Btw, IMO the topic under discussion here is slightly different. The Bison
TODO file has the following entry:

** --report=conflict-path
Provide better assistance for understanding the conflicts by providing
a sample text exhibiting the (LALR) ambiguity.  See the paper from
DeRemer and Penello: they already provide the algorithm.

It seems interesting. I might work on this when I find time.. (currently too
busy with course work).

thanks,
--satya.

--
Gain control over your attention and you gain control over your life.
http://cs.uic.edu/~spopuri <http://cs.uic.edu/%7Espopuri>