Re: No Bison 3 in untainted macOS installs

From: Uxio Prego
Subject: Re: No Bison 3 in untainted macOS installs
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 17:02:33 +0100

> On 15 Dec 2018, at 15:20, Hans Åberg <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> On 15 Dec 2018, at 11:05, Uxio Prego <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Does anybody know when Bison 3 is going to be added to
>> macOS?
>>
>> Fortunately other projects such as Homebrew allow a
>> straightforward selection of a cutting edge alternative Bison
>> under `/usr/local/`, [...]
>
> Bison installs in /usr/local/ direct from the sources in [1], and works fine
> will their inhouse version of clang. Bison also needs m4 which can be
> installed the same from [2]. Just compile with ./configure && make, and 'make
> pdf' if you want the PDF manual, then sud only on the install: 'sudo make
> install' and 'sudo make install-pdf’.

Sounds perfect. :)

> Also, MacPorts [3] packages tend to be more up-to-date. It is installed in
> /opt/, so /usr/local doesn't get cluttered. So it is possible to choose what
> one wants, say GCC from MacPorts, and the original Clang from their site in
> different builds, especially easy if you use Automake, which admits out of
> source tree compilation.

Actually Homebrew clutters a specific `Cellar/` dir under
`/usr/local/`, so I see no effective benefit. And Homebrew
already seems really up to date.

In my opinion that leaves the discriminant to be which one
of these is less vulnerable to package hijacking a la NPM.
Ouch. No idea which one.