Re: AW: Old flex desperately needed (or Ebcdic port)

From: Hans-Bernhard Broeker
Subject: Re: AW: Old flex desperately needed (or Ebcdic port)
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 18:09:19 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Pfeiffer Daniel wrote:

> thank you very much for your prompt reply!  Alas, being no RCS expert I
> played around with the Emacs frontend a bit -- to no avail.  So I went to
> see our MKS and CVS expert, who didn't figure it out either.  Worse, he said
> that it couldn't possibly work, because RCS doesn't have information on
> release versions.

RCS itself doesn't, right. Neither does CVS, by itself. Normally, version
tagging is used for that, i.e. you'ld find one version per source file
having a particular symbolic name attached to it. Something like
release_2_3_6 or the likes.

Unfortunately, the tarballed RCS tree doesn't seem to contain any symbolic
revisions at all. Looks like they didn't use tags --- what a pity. So
you'll have to rely on dates. According to NEWS, release 2.3 Patch #6
(which I take is the 2.3.6 you're after), is dated Aug 29th, 1990.
Use that knowledge to:

        cd -d'Aug 30, 1990'

the files you need.

--