Re: Compatibility between GNATS 3.x and 4.x? gnatsweb?

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: Compatibility between GNATS 3.x and 4.x? gnatsweb?
Date: 11 Feb 2001 21:07:40 +0100

    GP> Are GNATS 3.x and 4.0 supposed to be incompatible?

Yes.

    GP> Or should it be possible to update the GNATS server and keep
    GP> existing clients?

No.

There were major changes, regarding especially the query interface and
configuration, between the versions 3 and 4.  This has led to a
significant simplification of the gnatsd command set.  IMHO this implies
that:

- Though it might be technically possible to retain most of the gnatsd 3
  commands (I didn't check carefully), it would leave a lot of garbage
  in the gnatsd command set instead of really simplifying it.

- Since this is simplification, interfaces should benefit from it and
  should be updated to the new gnatsd command set.  It shouldn't be
  difficult once the gnatsd commands and the GNATS query language are
  documented.

- I don't consider a backward compatibility being a serious issue here,
  because I suppose most installed interfaces are tight to their server
  and are supposed to be upgraded together with the server.

[BTW, I'll be out of Internet soon, for about two weeks.  So don't panic
if I'll be completely quiet during that period.]

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
And why?