Re: Compatibility between GNATS 3.x and 4.x? gnatsweb?

From: Gerald Pfeifer
Subject: Re: Compatibility between GNATS 3.x and 4.x? gnatsweb?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 02:29:53 +0100 (CET)

On 11 Feb 2001, Milan Zamazal wrote:
>> Are GNATS 3.x and 4.0 supposed to be incompatible? [...]
>> Or should it be possible to update the GNATS server and keep existing
>> clients?
> - Though it might be technically possible to retain most of the gnatsd 3
>   commands (I didn't check carefully), it would leave a lot of garbage
>   in the gnatsd command set instead of really simplifying it.

Well, this is a good point.

> - I don't consider a backward compatibility being a serious issue here,
>   because I suppose most installed interfaces are tight to their server
>   and are supposed to be upgraded together with the server.

Hmm, not necessarily. For example, I would have liked to use the current
CVS version of gnatsweb on gcc.gnu.org, first to do some testing by
myself, and then also in production use. This I could do easily, but
having the entire GNATS installation updated, would be quite more
involved.

(I hope the upgrade path from GNAT 3.x to 4.x will be simple and well
documented, so that one can easily migrated his databases? Then it'll
be less of a problem for most regular sites.)

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry" address@hidden http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/