Re: Compatibility between GNATS 3.x and 4.x? gnatsweb?

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: Compatibility between GNATS 3.x and 4.x? gnatsweb?
Date: 12 Feb 2001 21:49:22 +0100

    GP> On 11 Feb 2001, Milan Zamazal wrote:

    >> - I don't consider a backward compatibility being a serious issue
    >> here, because I suppose most installed interfaces are tight to
    >> their server and are supposed to be upgraded together with the
    >> server.

    GP> Hmm, not necessarily. For example, I would have liked to use the
    GP> current CVS version of gnatsweb on gcc.gnu.org, first to do some
    GP> testing by myself, and then also in production use. This I could
    GP> do easily, but having the entire GNATS installation updated,
    GP> would be quite more involved.

If I understand you well, you mean that new Gnatsweb should still allow
work with GNATS 3?  This would be nice but it is solely a matter of
Gnatsweb.  If Gnatsweb is designed well enough, the backward
compatibility shouldn't be a big problem.  (As for my gnats2w hack,
there's no problem with retaining the backward compatibility with
GNATS 3, there is a problem with supporting the full flexibility of
GNATS 4 instead -- gnats2w wasn't designed with a big functional
extensions of the server in mind.)

    GP> (I hope the upgrade path from GNAT 3.x to 4.x will be simple and
    GP> well documented, so that one can easily migrated his databases?
    GP> Then it'll be less of a problem for most regular sites.)

Yes, moving databases should be easy -- actually I use a copy of GNATS
bug database from sources.redhat.com (running with GNATS 3 there) on my
machine with GNATS 4.  All I had to do was to add the `dbconfig' file
and to customize it a little.  Of course, I plan to document the upgrade
process appropriately.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
"Having GNU Emacs is like having a dragon's cave of treasures."
                                                Robert J. Chassell