Re: query-pr -F ## / dbconfig

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: query-pr -F ## / dbconfig
Date: 07 Jan 2002 12:30:46 +0100

    >>  If it works for superuser, it is almost for certain a permission
    >> problem.  Check whether the users can access (e.g.  via `cat')
    >> the PR files in the database directory.

    TP> You are right. But that is the default behavior of the debian
    TP> package, and not something I have intentionally setup.

    TP> drwxr-s--- 2 gnats gnats 1024 Jan 3 07:05 doc

    TP> Are the permissions on the 'doc' category for instance. What
    TP> should it be?

I think the permission setting above is a reasonable default.  If it was
changed to public access, users would complain the data is available to
anyone without explicitly saying so.

    TP> and what config file/option specifices how those directories are
    TP> created and what permissions/ownerships are set to them?

There is no such option.  `umask' (especially in ~gnats/.profile) and
`chmod' are your friends.

    >> or you can setuid gnats the query-pr binary.

    TP> setuid? <gasp> .. only when it's the last resort ;)

Since gnatsd shares a lot of code with query-pr, it's comparably
(in)secure.  So if you intend to use GNATS databases locally with a read
restricted access, setuid gnats on query-pr doesn't look like an
unreasonable option to me.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
Free software is about freedom, not about free beer.  If you care only about
the latter, you'll end up with no freedom and no free beer.