Re: Emacs localization (Re: Why emacs have not native language menu)

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Emacs localization (Re: Why emacs have not native language menu)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:35:11 +0200

+ Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion@mx6.tiki.ne.jp>:

| What is the technical difference with the extensibility of emacs and
| version upgrades or plugins in other apps ?

Emacs is very old and was never designed for localization.  Of course,
localization support can be added in principle, but it's probably not
a small job.  Neither is it medium sized, if you get my drift.

| I don't see any. And the common issue is that localizers have to keep
| up with the dynamic in both cases.

I expect the problem is an order of magnitude larger with emacs:  If
you include all the contributed elisp code, the number of strings that
would need localization and translation is absolutely huge.

I don't say it can't be done, but it is very unlikely to happen unless
a group of dedicated and well qualified individuals are willing and
able to donate a substantial amount of time to the project.

Did I hear you volunteer?  Good luck!

  -- Bertrand Russell