Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on eve

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on every platform?
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 13:55:24 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-02-20 01:31]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > That means on Unix-like systems. It is better expressed that
> > way. GNU is Not Unix, true, though it is very much
> > Unix-like, such systems are mentioned as Unices if
> > I remember well.
>
> But that is a formal distinction:
>
>   A Unix-like (sometimes referred to as UN*X or *nix)
>   operating system is one that behaves in a manner similar to
>   a Unix system, although not necessarily conforming to or
>   being certified to any version of the Single UNIX
>   Specification. [1]
>
> But I don't care about that. And for good reason, because in
> terms of technology a random Linux distribution found on
> DistroWatch.com [2] is as much Unix as anything else.

You can call it as you wish. Majority of people don't even know that
there is operating system inside, they call it computer and that's
it. They need not care as they belong in the group that does not see
or maybe don't want to see distinctions. Though operating system
makers and authors, they know that A is not B.

> I played ice hockey for more than a decade. I didn't wear
> a helmet a single time. But the IIHF says all players should
> wear helmets. That means it wasn't ice hockey, what I took
> part in was an "ice hockey-like sport". See? The absence of
> a helmet _is_ what "breaks" it!

Exactly, those are rules of the game.

You can play a game by not following rules, it will not be
counted. This is because of the agreements between people.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman