Re: lamers on IRC

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: lamers on IRC
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 09:50:23 +0300

* Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> [2022-05-23 00:22]:
> One problem with IRC is the presence of lamers, luckily this
> problem can be solved easily with technology starting with the
> IRC client. Today I learned how to do this with my client,
> ERC:

😥 Emacs channel for years has no moderators who moderate by common
sense and police the channel for good behavior, there are no special
rules, and those policies displayed like to avoid discrimination and
asshatery will be quickly broken by those few dominating over larger
group of people there.

And people participating, often few hundreds of them may think and get
opinion that rude behavior is acceptable -- no it is not normal, there
are many occurences of unfriendly and abusively dominating behavior.

Some of alpha monkey dominators will switch from channel to channel
after the user and even complain why did that user go to other
channel. They go because of abusive behavior.

Public come to #emacs for Emacs reasons. They will often find
narcissists' behavior and abuse. Insults and mockery are common.

#emacs IMHO is not GNU governedchannel, rather it is GNU project
related channel, IMHO, is also not moderated by GNU Kind
Communication Guidelines.

This is appearing as generalization, as I do not want to mention the
dominators' nick names.

Some people complain on Libreplanet mailing list on unwelcoming
environments in social networks around free software. I can really
understand such complaints, and I like to point to friendly digital
places for help. IMHO #emacs channel on IRC is such place due to few
dominating parties. This is because dominators live in their own
digital world behind the computer, forgetting about the human beings
on other side of the world.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns