Re: multiple kill and paste from X clipboard

From: orzodk
Subject: Re: multiple kill and paste from X clipboard
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:12:01 -0700

Manuel Giraud via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to be able to paste a serie of strings from Emacs to an
> external X program (e.g. a form with multiple entry in a web browser).
>
> I could put all the strings in the Emacs' kill-ring but then a paste in
> the other program will just retrieve the last killed string.  Or maybe,
> Emacs could be informed that the last kill was paste externally and then
> proceed to kill the next item?
>
> How could I do that?

This is a limitation of X not Emacs. Each time you kill a value Emacs
will put it into X's clipboard overwriting the previous value. A
clipboard manager will help with this by keeping the history around. I
personally use clipmenu but there are several tools to choose from. I
also bind C-M-v in the window manager to the command to display the
manager's history.

My workflow for what you're asking would be:

- kill-ring-save (M-w) however many times in Emacs to populate the
  clipboard manager's history.
- Switch to the browser
- Pull up the clipboard history (C-M-v) and select the value I want for
  each form entry.